Pages

5.03.2011

mexico on my mind.


This morning I woke up with Mexico on my mind. It seems like many things in my life have been centering around this beautiful country lately, and I'm wondering whether to take it as a sign that I need to return (hint, hint Joe!). Maybe it's like LOST and the island is calling me back...I guess I just officially "outted" myself as a nerdy LOST junkie...oh boy :).

My first trip to Mexico, or to anywhere tropical for that matter, was about six months ago. Joe and I went to Riviera Maya for our honeymoon, and as soon as we arrived at our resort I turned to Joe and told him that he had officially ruined me for good. An all-inclusive, 5-star hotel with like 10 pools, 5 swim-up bars, 24-hour room service that would deliver chicken wings to our door-step at any time of the day, and MARGARITAS...and Banana Mamas...and Daquiris...and Pina Coladas...
Where was I? Right. Mexico. While I'm sure a number of you are probably thinking that an all-inclusive resort is actually a pretty skewed representation of what Mexico is really like, the Valentin Imperial will always be Mexico to me :).

This past weekend we hosted a dinner party at our house, and the theme was (not even chosen by me)...Mexican. My sister called me yesterday to tell me that she was leaving on vacation this morning to...Mexico. I looked at the calendar this morning and guess what holiday is in two days...Cinco de Mayo! Oh...and avocado's were on sale for 99 cents this week at the grocery store...if that's not coincidence, then I don't know what is!

This recipe is a very simple spin on a chicken soup. It's sooo fresh tasting and has a TON of flavour! If you like things a little spicy...double or even triple the amount of hot sauce. Make sure to check out the Margarita recipe at the bottom too, because happy hour isn't just for weekends...right?



Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup

- (2) tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- (1) medium onion, chopped
- (2-3) cloves of garlic, minced
- (1) large boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- (6) cups of chicken stock
- (1) medium tomato, seeded and diced
- (1/2) cup of ripe diced avocado
- (2) tbsp. lime juice
- (1/2) tsp. hot sauce (or more if you like)
- (1/4) cup of coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- a dash of pepper

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium to low heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring for about 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. 

 
Add stock and bring to a boil.


Stir in chicken and reduce heat to low. Simmer very gently, partially covered for 10 minutes. 



Just before serving, stir in tomato, avocado, lime juice, hot sauce and cilantro. 





Season with pepper and serve immediately.




A little extra...

The Classic Margarita

- (1 1/2) oz. Tequilla
- (1 1/2) oz. Triple Sec
- (1) oz. fresh lime juice

Shake ingredients together and serve over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. Garnish with a lime and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment