Pages

3.23.2011

best ever banana bread.


On a recent trip to the grocery store, my husband Joe and I were stocking up on fruit. We grabbed a couple apples, a couple oranges, and Joe went to grab a couple bananas. He came back with 8 bananas and I was puzzled. It's just the two of us, and I'm really not huge banana eater, but Joe was sure he'd eat them all.  About a week later, there they were, 3 brown bananas sitting on the counter. I knew it! When I asked Joe about it, he admitted it was all part of his plan because now I'd have to make banana bread...very sneaky!

I have tried hundreds of different recipes for banana bread over the years, but I must say, this is one of the best. I wanted to make a banana bread that was super moist, super banana-ey (?) and slightly less dense and greasy than many others I've tried. A lot of traditional banana bread recipes call for vegetable oil, and while I've always tried to consider this tasty snack one of my 5-10 daily servings of fruit, the grease ring it left on my napkin made me question my theory. After much experimenting and recipe altering, I do believe I've hit the jackpot.

This recipe calls for plain, fat-free yogurt, but feel free to experiment with 2% yogurt, flavoured yogurt, or even sour cream.

Banana Bread

- (1) cup mashed bananas
- (1) cup plain, fat-free yogurt
- (1/4) cup of margarine
- (2/3) cup of white sugar
- (2/3) cup of brown sugar
- (2) eggs
- (1) tsp. vanilla extract
- (2) cups of all-purpose flour
- (1) tsp. baking soda
- (1) tsp. baking powder
- (1/4) tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. This recipe JUST fits in here, so if your loaf pan is slightly smaller, you may want to consider dividing the batter between two loaf pans. 
Mash bananas until lumps are gone and combine with yogurt in a bowl. Set aside. 



In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time and add the vanilla. Stir in the banana mixture. 





Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl and stir into the banana mixture once it is well mixed. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.


Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.





Cutting Back?

As far as baking goes, this recipe has already cut out a couple major calorie culprits. Be sure to use the plain, fat-free yogurt if you're looking for a healthier alternative and opt for a whole grain flour instead of all-purpose flour. You can try either whole wheat flour, brown rice flour or spelt flour. Substituting the entire amount of all-purpose flour with a whole grain flour can sometimes change the consistency of the bread, so I would recommend using 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of alternative flour.

1 comment: