Pages

3.22.2011

getting started.

Hmmm....where to start. I guess I have been a "foodie" for years now. A "foodie" in terms of my love for food and passion for cooking. Definitely not in terms of my skill, which I must admit right from the start is no where close to any type of chef du cuisine. Chef du "my kitchen" perhaps. I think my passion for cooking really blossomed around the age of 10. I always loved whipping up culinary experiments in my moms kitchen, most of which contained either Velveeta cheese or peanut butter, and most of which also ended up on all four walls of the microwave. 
My experimenting didn't always turn into "kitchen nightmares" though. I actually started a little business at the ripe age of 12, baking and selling Boeterkoek to family and friends. For those of you scratching your heads right now, Boeterkoek is a Dutch delicacy...literally... "butter cake", completely...delicious. Looking back, it was a pretty sweet operation. My mom bought all the ingredients, and I'd rack in $6 for every cake I sold. I wonder if I'd ever be able to find a generous investor like that again...


Nowadays, I'm recently married and living in the heart of downtown Montreal. Married life has proven to be the best gateway for experimenting with cooking and creating recipes, although my husband and his waistline may not agree. Living in the land of bread, wine and cheese doesn't help either ;P. 
I'm definitely a meat and potatoes kind of girl, but I love experimenting with other cultural delicacies as well. With my Dutch background and my husband's Italian heritage, I've definitely been learning to keep the spice in our lives and in our kitchen. We've traveled to Thailand, Mexico, India, Morocco, Indonesia, Italy and of course Holland in the past 6 months without even leaving our apartment! Join us on our journey of flavour.

Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Love it Linds!! I absolutely remember you experimenting with the velveeta----and I got to indulge in your creations--yum yum!! xo

    ReplyDelete